Saturday, February 14, 2015

Fifty Shades of Grey Movie Review...



**Contains Spoilers**

So, I know critics have been slamming E.L. James, her books, and this movie, for quite some time now. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the literary world has drilled it in our heads that it was horribly written, while the BDSM community slammed it for not really being BDSM, but more like a watered down version of it. Then, when it was announced that the actors pictured above would be portraying Christian & Ana, the world (myself included) threw a hissy fit. I mean, he is absolutely NOT the Christian Grey I pictured in my mind while I was reading...the Christian whose gaze into your eyes alone, would have you rushing to the ladies room to change into a fresh pair of panties. I, for one, didn't miss an opportunity to comment on every social media site I saw, that I was NOT happy with the choice for Christian, while other's reiterated how Ana looked much older than she was described in the book.

Once I got to the theater yesterday, I already had my arms folded, my nose turned up, and my lips pouted... before the opening credits even got started good, anticipating that I was going to HATE this movie, if not for the mere fact that Ian Somerhalder (Damon from The Vampire Diaries) wasn't who I was going to see on the big screen, playing the role of Christian Grey. Prior to seeing the movie, I thought Jamie kind of looked like a bug, of some sort; but boy, did he change my mind. As the movie went on, I found my body relaxing, and my pout turning into a smile. Not only did he do really well in the role, the rumors that I'd heard about him and Dakota having absolutely no chemistry onscreen, were false. They interacted really well together, and they damn sure had me believing they enjoyed every last one of those sex scenes. (sidenote- I know Ana was a virgin prior to Christian turning her out, but I did NOT enjoy seeing that big bush between her legs...like, give that girl a razor, some Nair bikini cream, or something...geez)  Also, there were several funny scenes, such as Ana getting a tad bit tipsy at the party and drunk-calling Christian; and the fact that she was using a flip phone in this day and time, was hilarious in itself. I didn't know they even still made flip phones...

Now, Jamie still can't hold a candle to Ian (who just oozes sex appeal out of every pore of his body) but in his own right, he was very sexy. No, his gaze didn't have me squirming in my seat, but that scene where his jeans hung low on his hips and we saw his V, had me mentally saying, "DAMMNNNNN!!! Okay, I see you, Jamie," and a few other inappropriate thoughts that I kept to myself because the hubby was sitting beside me. He has a body-ody-ody on him. For the record, none of the characters looked as glamorous as the books made them seem, and I literally cringed when Rita Ora finally appeared onscreen and she was sporting that awful bob wig, which makes her look like a man. But the supporting characters aren't the reason we wanted to see this movie, anyway. I do have to say, the movie did stick to the book more than I thought it would. The sex scenes weren't as graphic as the books described, but they were tastefully and sensually done, and I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the movie a lot more than I thought I would.

This is why I don't pay attention to critics and negative reviewers...because most of them are prudish haters.. ( #NoShade, Lisa Wilkinson). And let me just make this disclaimer: This movie is not about, nor does it promote domestic violence, so please stop comparing it as such. For women- such as myself- who have suffered physical abuse from a man, this is nowhere close to domestic violence. If you haven't read the books, and are only going off the words of E.L. Jame's haters, I can see how you'd think that...but Christian never abuses Ana in any way. He's introduced her to his different lifestyle, and ASKED her repeatedly if she wanted to be a part of it. He let HER make the decisions as to what she would or would not allow (such as their business meeting to discuss his contract) sexually, and otherwise, and if anything, she exercises more control over him, then he does her..but unless you've read the books, you won't know that.

I'm trying not to include too many spoilers, for those who still haven't made up your minds to watch, but overall, I'll give this movie a solid 7.5 out of 10. I took some points away because of that damn flip phone, Ana's wild punany bush, and the fact that I didn't see Jamie naked more. LOL! Congrats to E.L. James on her accomplishment. I'm sure she's having the last laugh right about now, because while her legions of haters (again, #noshade Lisa) are still trashing her and her books, I'm sure she's not bothered in the least bit. She's totally winning, right now. I look forward to part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment