Wednesday, June 3, 2015

People who are more deserving to be called a hero over Bruce Jenner.

Once upon a time, I used to watch The Kardashians on tv...mainly because I was really bored and there must not had been anything else worth watching on tv. But eventually, I came to my senses and realized that I couldn't stomach these people, and I had no interest in watching this family of self-centered, entitled, pompous, arrogant men and women. Even Khloe- the only one I could stand just a little bit- started getting on my nerves. It's like the sisters always tried to one up each other, but of course, none of them would even measure up to Kim. Then, there was Kris- the pimp/mom, who would quickly sell either one of her daughters to the highest bidder on any given day; Rob- the seemingly depressed lone brother, who struggled to find his way in life; and lastly ,the dad (I use this term lightly) Bruce, who never seemed to have much of a say so in anything. As I watched him fly his toy planes- which seemed to be his main source of comfort and entertainment since Kris was too busy pimping out their daughters to pay him any attention- I wondered what it was about him that just seemed a little...off to me.  

Well, I (along with the rest of the world) finally found out what it was about Bruce that seemed weird. He has been carrying a secret since back in the 70's (his Olympic glory days) that he thinks he's a woman living in a man's body. By the time all this came to light, I'd stopped paying these people any attention, but because the media is obsessed with them and anything they do, it was hard not to read about what was going on with them. So, apparently, Bruce did some interview with Diane Sawyer, where he said the new, feminine Bruce would be coming to the world soon. And a few days ago, he finally introduced the world to Caitlyn (his feminine alter-ego).

Now look, I am not one of these uber religious people, okay. I can't even remember the last time I went to church. I definitely believe in God, and that Jesus died for all of our sins, and that one day, He will come back to wipe away all the sin in the world. I don't, however, do organized religion. I feel that a lot (not all) of these preachers/pimps, and church folk are just as crooked and two-faced as us worldly people they like to look down at. So, my issues with Bruce have nothing to do with what's in the Bible- although I do recall reading somewhere (sorry, I didn't memorize the scripture, but you can Google it) that men lying with men is a sin. But then again, we ALL sin on a daily basis...so I'm NOT judging Bruce's (I refuse to call him Caitlyn) lifestyle. More power to him, if he wants to think of himself as a woman. My issue is that just because he waited until he was damn near 100 years old (insert sarcasm) to finally COME OUT, he's being labeled a hero because if it. Again, I realize he's an Olympic champion...from 1976. Let's see, I was born in 1978, so his glory days as an athlete were damn near 40 years ago. (My face just fell as I realize that I'm almost 40). Anyway, I don't see anything he has done since then that warrants him to be called a hero, or receive an ESPY award. (Do people even still care about these)  Per ESPNJenner became a national hero when 'she' won the decathalon gold medal with a record-setting performance at the 1976 Olympics. 'She' identified as Bruce Jenner at the time.In announcing the award, ESPN cited Jenner's "athletic prowess and determination" at the Olympics and the "strength of character" that Jenner displayed in her coming-out interview with Diane Sawyer.

Sorry (not sorry), but am I missing something? Again, why is he deserving of an award? Why is this man being hailed as a hero, when there are so many more deserving people, who are truly heroes walking around us; not to mention, he's not the first- and won't be the last- man to want to identify himself as a woman. He is not a hero, in my eyes, and no amount of social media bullying, name calling, threats, damning me to hell, or anything else, is going to change my mind. I can think of a few people who truly are real heroes and deserve the praise the media is giving to Bruce:

Noah Galloway- The former U.S soldier, model, and athlete. He was injured during the Iraq War, losing his left arm above the elbow and left leg above the knee. He was a contestant on the last season of Dancing With the Stars, paired with Sharna Burgess. The pair finished in third place.

















Amy Purdy- After contracting a form of bacterial meningitis, the disease affected her circulatory system when the infection led to septic shock,  and both of her legs had to be amputated below the knee. She went on to be a contestant on Dancing With the Stars, and performed some of the most beautiful routines with partner Derek, and in my opinion, she danced as gracefully as some of the pros. She, along with Noah, didn't let their injuries keep them from finding the strength to keep going, despite the fact they'd both lost limbs.
















Akon- While most think of him as just another rapper, he's has recently opened a Solar Academy as part of his effort to bring electricity to 600 million people in rural communities across Africa. I find most rappers and hip hop artists of today to be quite shallow, talentless, and vulgar, but when one is actually trying to do something to help someone other than himself, he deserves some praise. Apparently, the media thinks different, since not very much is being said about it. 













All the brave men and women who lost their lives fighting for our countryThere are simply too many men and women to name, but I find it hard to believe that Bruce and his family can get more mentions and attention in the news and on social media than the soldiers who fought in wars for our freedom. 










I could go on, but the point I'm trying to make is that while there's nothing wrong with Bruce making the decision to finally stop lying to himself and be the woman he's always dreamed of being, nothing about this is a heroic act that deserves an reward. I think it's quite selfish, actually, that he's known since the 70's that he's not been happy living as a man, but he went about his life, marrying women and having children, then suddenly decides that now is the time to come clean. Yes, his children all seem supportive of his decision to finally come clean, but now- when he has a 17 year old daughter shacking up with a grown man because her dad's too busy transitioning into a woman to give her the attention and guidance she needs- is not a good time to decided to be focused on himself. Those girls are headed down a slippery slope, and neither their mom or dad seems concerned.

America has become so accepting of everything, that people are losing focus on family values and what's really important. I also say that if it weren't for the fact that Bruce is associated with the Kardashian's, nobody would be as interested in an Olympic athlete from 40 years ago making an announcement such as this. Methinks Bruce learned a lot from his fame obsessed wife and step-daughters. He's cashing in on this story, milking it for all it's worth. He even managed to take some of Kim's shine after she announced baby North is going to be a big sister, by broadcasting his, I mean, her new look on the cover of Vanity Fair magazine, right around the same time. Now, nobody is thinking about Kim. I guess he wasn't as much as a pushover as I thought. 

#BruceJenner #BruceNotCaitlyn 




No comments:

Post a Comment