Monday, June 29, 2015

Recap BET Awards 2015

The BET Awards aired last night, and since I've watched these shows since they started, I knew what to expect. However, the more I watch these shows, the more I'm reminded of how old(er) I'm getting. Like my parents used to do when I was a teenager, I found myself having to ask my 11 year old daughter, "Who is that?" or "What the heck are they saying?" more than a few times. These hip hop artists (I use that term lightly) get more and more ridiculous every year. But there were some great moments, and I'll list my top five below.

1. The Bad Boy 20th year medley. I can't lie, I was dancing my ass off, and just like I'd been doing anytime a current rapper appeared onstage, my daughter gave me a serious side-eye and a look that suggested that she was both bored and disgusted, as I relived the 90's and my youth, for just a little while. We all know Puffy can't really dance, but whatever it is he does, has always worked for him, and I loved seeing him do it. Then, I really got into it when Lil Kim, a*k*a* The Queen Bee rose up from the stage. I hate whatever she did to her face, but she's still one of the greatest female rappers, ever. I was a little disappointed that they didn't do Flavor In Ya Ear, but I still enjoyed the entire thing. I guess I was really into it, because I didn't even see Diddy fall through the stage. Thank God for commentary from my fellow FB awards show watchers. No wonder he looked at Smokey Robinson like, could you please wrap this speech up..he was in pain.

2. Speaking of Smokey Robinson, I love this guy. He looks great for his age. Whatever he's doing, is working for him. I absolutely loved the Tori Kelly, Robin Thicke, and Ne-Yo (even though I can't stand Ne-yo) tribute. I've listened to Tori on Youtube, so I knew she could sing, but she killed that performance last night. Robin, this is the guy we fell in love with- soft, sensual, smooth, Robin...not wannabe playa, bad boy that's down with the hip hop artists, Robin. Listening to him sing last night, almost made me forgive his stupidity...now if only Paula Patton would. After the medley, Smokey himself got onstage and showed these youngsters how it's done, after he basically told them to get the hell over themselves, because they are not the first R & B singers to make it in this business, and they won't be the last, something that needed to be said. One of my main issues with these artists today is they are not humble, and are waaayyyy too full of themselves. Off topic but, after watching Smokey, I really wanted to watch the Temptations movie.

3. Because I absolutely love Morris Chestnut, I was so happy to see him onstage with The Perfect Guy co-stars, Sanaa Lathan and Michael Ealy. I can't wait for that movie. It looks good, but I wouldn't care if it's not...it gives us another chance to look at Sexy Chocolate, a*k*a* Morris Chestnut. Side-note: Michael Ealy does crazy just a little too well. Things that make you go hmm....
Also, the cast of The Game came onstage to announce to the world that this is the final season of the show (for real this time) Then, Derwin 'Ding Dong' Davis shocked us all, by coming onstage and announcing that both he and Girl Melanie will be coming back at some point during this final season. I hate the direction this show went on when BET took over it from the CW, but I'll always have the memories of when it was a really good show. I just might tune in, now that Derwin & Mel will be back.

4. The Janet Tribute. I was so caught up in this, I didn't even know who was onstage. The girl I thought was Ciara dancing to Pleasure Principal in the beginning, was not really Ciara. It was someone named Tinashe (one of those people I had to look to my daughter to find out who she was) but she was awesome. Jason DeRulo, I could have done without, but I guess since Chris Brown had already done a few performances, they went with this guy. I don't care for him at all (he's one of those arrogant artists with no humility I mentioned earlier) but he was okay I guess, for what he did. So Ciara finally graced the stage for the Rhythm Nation part, and as expected, she killed it. I've always thought her dancing was a mix between Janet Jackson and the late Aaliyah, so there was no question that she would pay proper homage to Janet. I, like everybody else, was extremely disappointed that as usual, BET made us wait fifty-eleven hours to watch the main event, only to find that the person being honored, wasn't even performing. Janet did grace the stage, looking like an angel in white, but she didn't perform...guess she's saving it for her Unbreakable World Tour. Either way, she obviously drinks from the same fountain of youth that Smokey Robinson and Pharell drink from, because she still looks youthful and beautiful as always.

5. Tamar and K. Michelle sang....TOGETHER onstage. If you follow these two on social media, you know they've had a feud with each other for a few years (even though they've never met in person). It's been a bunch of silly name-calling and insults being traded between the two of them, but somehow, BET managed to make them appear to have kissed and made up. I think whatever issues they had with each other were made worse by the fans, stans, and Black Twitter. Even when Tamar announced that they would be performing together on her Facebook page, there were still people commenting that one would out-sing the other, or which one was better than the other. I could only shake my head and roll my eyes at those people who can't let the issue go, even though the people involved have.  As for the performance itself, it was lackluster. I love me some Tamar, but she never does well with her award show performances. She can sing her ass off, though. Then, Mama Patti came onstage and saved both Tamar and K. Michelle while they tried to sing If Only You Knew, and all was good at the end of the night.

After that, we got a brief glimpse of Rihanna announcing that she has a video for Bitch Better Have My Money, which will be out in a few days, then some guy singing about a Trap Queen (again, I looked to my child for an explanation about him and his song) and it was finally over. I give this show a 8 out of 10, because while some of the jokes from presenters fell flat, I loved all the performances, more than I thought I would. Good job BET, just next time, find a way to make it a little shorter. Us old(er) folks can't be up all night. 


No comments:

Post a Comment