Thursday, August 13, 2015

Janet is back with the No Sleep video...



Janet Jackson is back, y'all! A few weeks ago, she released the audio version of her latest hit, No Sleep, and I quickly went to Amazon and bought it to add to my mp3 collection. A few days later, the version with J. Cole came out. And nowww, the video has been released. I love me some Janet, but I am a little disappointed with the video. And this is just my opinion, people- I'm allowed to have one of those, just as you are. If you love it, more power to you. Janet is beautiful, as always, and she still has that gorgeous smile; but this song suggests that she can't wait to meet up with her lover, so they can make love until the wee hours of the morning, hence the lyrics:

48 hours in love
It oughta be a weekend marathon
So you better get ready, my king
Cause I'ma be the queen of insomnia
Stay wide awake
For every moment we spend together
Cause every second you're awake
Feels like forever

You're missing me
I'm missing you
Wherever we meet, we ain't gonna get no sleep
You came to me to get back with you
Cause we are complete, we ain't gonna get no sleep...

However, for me, the video doesn't match the lyrics. I know she's older now and married, but where's the sexiness. At one point, she shows a picture of her with her dad- the infamous Joe Jackson- which, while adorable, it confuses me as to how that ties into the video. Then, just as I'm getting into the groove of this sensual, sexy song, J. Cole ruins it for me. I am one of those people who doesn't think every song needs a rap verse added to make it hot. The song was perfectly fine without him. 

I guess I shouldn't have expected too much, seeing as how Janet- who was honored with the Ultimate Icon Award and a dance tribute performed by Ciara, Tinashe and Jason Derulo at the BET Awards back in June- had everybody watching that long, drawn out, overrated awards show, in hopes of seeing her tear the stage up; but to our utter disappointment, she came out,announced her Unbreakable World Tour, got her award, and left...sans a performance. I'm not saying she needs to try to compete with the younger artists out there, because none of them have anything on her; I just hoped she would give me some of that old Janet vibe from back in the 90's. I'm talking about that Anytime, Anyplace, That's The Way Love Goes, type of video- sexy without being trashy. Regardless, this is my jam, and I keep it on repeat...without J. Cole completely ruining my vibe. And I wish somebody would tell him to comb his damn hair!!! What is with the boys and men these days walking around with their hair all over their heads? Anyway, watch the video for No Sleep, below. #JanetJackson #NoSleep 






No comments:

Post a Comment