Friday, August 14, 2015

The Fresh Prince Reboot: A good idea, or should Hollywood leave the old shows alone?



...In west Philadelphia born and raised, on the playground was where I spent most of my days,
Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool, and shootin' some b-ball outside of the school,
When a couple of guys who were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighborhood,
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared, she said "'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air."...
(yes, I sang that as I was typing it) 


It's funny that I can remember the words to the theme song of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but I can barely remember my kids ages, sometimes. This 90's sitcom is one of my all-time favorites, and I still watch re-runs on Nick At Night and on MTV regularly. It's one of those shows that immediately reminds me of my glorious, carefree teenage years, when life was simple and fun, and I didn't have any real responsibilities. So, when I heard about a possible reboot of the show, I got a little happy. But, the tv industry hasn't done very well with trying to reboot old tv shows in the past. Via Vibe.com: According to TVLine, Fresh Prince 2.0 is in the very early development stages and Will Smith, star of the hit ’90s sitcom, and his Overbrook Entertainment production house are said to be on-board. Smith will reportedly hold down executive producer duties alongside Overbrook producing partners James Lassiter, Caleeb Pinkett and Jada Pinkett-Smith.

I'm really trying to imagine what possible storyline they could go with if this does happen. Has Will finally gotten married? Is Hillary still shallow, self-absorbed, and not the brightest crayon in the box? Did Jeffery go back to London or does he still have to cut Carlton's meat for him? Did Ashley ever get her singing career going, because once I found out that Make Up Your Mind was a real song, recorded by Tatyana Ali, I downloaded it on my mp3 and still get my jam on, to this day (don't judge me), and what's little Nicky up to now? It's kind of hard to imagine the show without James Avery - a*k*a* Uncle Phil- who passed away in 2013. And after Janet Hubert- the original Aunt Viv- was let go, the mom's storyline got a little weak; I just wasn't feeling Daphne Maxwell Reid...she really brought nothing to the show, and isn't as memorable as Janet- if only she didn't hate Will Smith with every inch of her being, still, after over 20 years have gone by.  

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens... 

No comments:

Post a Comment