Thursday, September 3, 2015

Book Review: A Stranger In My House by Natisha Raynor



The saying, "You get what you pay for," applies to this book, unfortunately. I was looking for something quick to read while at work, and I came across this one for $0.99 on Amazon. Not to say that there aren't some good books for $0.99 on there, but..

Synopsis:

After only a few months of dating Rasheeda, Kevin notices that she is mentally unstable and cuts her off. Rasheeda's grief causes her to do things that eventually lead to her untimely death. The apple doesn't fall far from the mental illness tree and someone close to Rasheeda decides to make Kevin pay. Even after he's found love and happiness with Destiny, troubles awaits in the shadows and is allowed to slip into their home.

Review:

I have to say, the storyline was good. The author knows how to tell a story. This story was about two people who live in the same building and decide to start dating, despite the fact that neither of them planned to settle down. Kevin is dating Rasheeda, a cute girl with a tick...the crazy kind, and it starts to show after he tells her that he only wants to be friends. As the synopsis states, Rasheeda dies tragically and suddenly, and someone sets out to take revenge out on Kevin. 

The story was very interesting. However, the editing (or lack thereof) made the story hard to enjoy. Commas were needed often, and the lack of them made the dialogue and sentences run together, making it hard to understand which character was speaking; then, there were commas in some places where they weren't needed. Also, there were several instances where characters were being called the wrong names in the wrong scenes- such as Destiny was talking to Rachel, but calling her Tamara. If this author had an editor, she definitely needs her money back. Even if she had proofread the book, she should have caught a lot of the mistakes. For this reason, I couldn't rate this book higher than a 3. I know there will be some errors in a book here and there, but there were just too many. The book ended abruptly, leaving us to wonder what happened with Rachel, so I assume there will be a part two, but unless the writing improves, I won't be interested in reading it. I really wish I could have rated it higher, but I have to be truthful in my reviews. 

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment