Monday, March 30, 2015

Is having a big ol' booty that serious?




As if Black women didn't already have enough ridiculous standards of beauty to live up to when it comes to our counterparts (white women) here lately, more and more Black women are running off to get butt implants, on the hunt for the perfect booty. I know we all have some things we'd like to change about ourselves, from our tummy pooches, to that irritating under-arm flab. Hell, if I had the money, I can't say I wouldn't take the easy way out, and go get a little lipo myself. I can't contribute my belly fat to my kids anymore (they're 16 and 10). I'll just be honest, I like to eat. I'm addicted to cupcakes, and I'm trying to end my affair with Cokes, but I'm losing that battle. Yes, I've tried doing crunches, walking, and going to the gym, but I didn't see the results I wanted, so I just ate another cupcake and washed it down with a soda. (Don't judge me) So, the easiest way to get rid of my spare tire belly, would be to get plastic surgery, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to change things about yourself, but is it worth dying over? Not to me, it's not. But for some women, namely Black women, having the perfect body is worth dying for. 

Yes women, I get it- society ( Hollywood) puts these ridiculous standards of beauty on women of all races. When you have women like Kim Kardashian, Beyonce, J.Lo,Nicki Minaj, or those Love & Hip Hop girls flaunting their perfect, round, donkey booty's in your face on the tv screen all day, everyday, and men losing their damn minds over them, it's easy to want the same thing.Women are constantly being told that having the perfect body is the only way to snag a man's attention (which is total B.S.). However, when it comes to risking your LIFE trying to get a big ass, there lies a big problem. 

Just last week, I came across a story about a 34 year old black woman in Dallas dying after she went to a salon to get Black Market butt injections, which she had done a few times before. Her family says she said "she wanted a big booty like everyone else." So, off she went to get butt shots from a woman who goes by Wee Wee, and a transgender man, named Jimmy, a*k*a* Alicia. Neither of them had anybody's medical license, both have criminal records, and the duo is said to target wannabe video whores models, and adult entertainers. Former clients of Wee Wee and Alicia said they used hydrogel to inflate their client's rear-ends, and sealed the wounds shut with Superglue, and that it costs anywhere from $300-$500.00 each visit. Now, I feel bad that a woman lost her life, and especially over something as silly as a butt injection, but where is the common sense? First of all, these are regular people, posing as doctors. Did this lady not do any research before she went in? Obviously not. Then, I'm sorry (not sorry) but Wee Wee is NOT about to do anything for me, not even my hair. You have to wonder about this woman's mindset, why she was willing to pay up to $500.00 to let some random person convince her that she was qualified to do this. You know that phrase, "You get what you pay for?" That most definitely applies when it comes to bootleg butt injections. Yeah, it's cheaper, but the results can be very ugly, and in more and more cases, deadly. 

In many of these cases, the butt doesn't even look natural. It's just like breast implants- if you have a petite frame, but you're walking around with these big ol' breast (i.e Wendy Williams) it just looks silly. Don't get me wrong, I watch Wendy everyday, but when those doors open and she comes out and teeter-totter's over to that purple chair, she always looks like she's about to topple over, because her chest is so big for her body. Then, there's K. Michelle. I'm not a fan of hers, or of Love & Hip Hop, but I've seen her and her butt just looks weighted down all the time, like she has a bunch of something stuffed inside the back of her pants- it's definitely too big for her frame. Women aren't even taking into consideration how disproportionate these implants and injections make them look, all they care about is having that certain body part to turn a man's head. 

Unfortunately, even with all the free information out these about these illegal body enhancement procedures, tragic stories, like the one I mentioned above, are becoming more common. And we continue to see horrible results of women not taking the time to do research before they alter themselves. Deaths from Black Market butt injections are being reported all over the U.S., mainly because injections are less expensive than actual butt implants, with little time needed for recovery. But is it worth it? According to plastic surgeon, Dr. Onyewu, it's not. "Over the last couple of years, and certainly in the last six months, I'm seeing a rash of people who've had these injections done who are coming back with problems," said Dr. Emeka Onyewu, a Silver Spring, Maryland plastic surgeon. Not only are these silicone injections illegal, they're often mixed with materials that create horrible, disfiguring reactions. "This dark skin feels like leather," said Dr. Onyewu, pointing to a photograph showing a woman's buttocks with dark, textured skin. "Like a leather purse." He added, "We've heard stories of motor oil being mixed with them, we've heard fix-a-flat, hydrogel. These are substances that go to the kidneys and destroy them. Goes to the liver and destroys them, eats through the skin."They can also lead to masses of silicone that have hardened and migrated. So firm, Dr. Onyewu must work to soften the tissue enough to remove it. Said Dr. Onyewu, "If you tried to go in now and surgically remove it, you couldn't even get a knife through it, that's how hard it is. That's how thick it is. "Even more alarming: these black market injections are being done at pumping parties held in motel rooms, private homes and spas."Most of these have been done underground," said Dr. Onyewu. "These girls get together with one source and that source, with drinks and food and everything, they sort of party and they get these injections done. There's a shroud of secrecy around it. It's hard to get into these parties. You have to be invited by somebody who's had injections done before."


I was was scrolling on Facebook and saw this photo above and almost gagged. Ladies, it's NOT that serious? This is permanent damage, unless you have big bucks to pay a REAL doctor to fix you up afterwards. Stop letting these so-called rappers, these beauty magazines, and entertainers tell you that having a butt like Kim Kardashian is the way to go. It may get you a little temporary pleasure and attention, but at what cost to you and your health? Common sense is the easiest thing in the world to have, yet so very few people use it. I saw a news story blaming hip hop for the rise of the big ol' butt trend, citing the 90's song Baby Got Back, by Sir-Mix-A-Lot, as a supposed reason why Black women are risking their lives for these procedures, but when are people going to stop blaming hip hop artists for EVERYTHING and start placing blame where it belongs: on Hollywood shoving it down women's throats that image is everything? When I read things like this, I'll keep my body, just the way it is. That's why they make Spanx, girdles, and whatever else I can do to control this bulge, until I can fully commit to exercising and getting my body tight and right, the correct way. 

#BigBooty #PlasticSurgery #ButtImplants #Beauty #Health




No comments:

Post a Comment