Friday, July 3, 2015

F.Y.I. bigots, you probably shouldn't work in customer service...

So, I just experienced racism, firsthand, in Walmart here in Nashville, AR where I live. First, let me start off by saying that if you have an issue with treating people fairly, you should choose another job. 

It's Friday-payday and 4th of July weekend- so Walmart's cashiers and lines are slower than ever. People could barely even walk by, because the lines were backed up with four and five customers with huge buggies full of items, per line. I only had a few things, so I thought it may be quicker to take those few items to the service desk, if the lines there weren't full as well. There were two service desk cashiers, so I walked up behind this one woman who was checking out. I thought, "I'm in luck, I won't have to wait long," because she was almost finished. When she left, I walked up to the counter, only to have the cashier named Shirley (a white woman), tell me she couldn't check me out. I'm like, "Why not? I just saw you check out a lady (white BTW) before me. She says, "You need to go wait in line," then calls over to a different line and tells another woman (also white) that she'll check her out. 

I'm looking like, is she serious? I thought it was first come, first serve. This customer was in a different line with her things, but Shirley refused to check me out. So, I waited in a line next to the service desk, while I watched her check out the woman she called over. Once she was done with her, I was like, "Okay, now what excuse do you have for not checking me out? Nobody else is in line?" Y'all, this woman blatantly ignored me, as if I wasn't even talking to her. She started acting like she was looking at some things on the service desk, trying her best to keep her head down so as not to look at me, because I was staring her dead in the face, waiting for an explanation as to why she wouldn't check me out. Then, the phone rang, so she dashed over to answer it, probably thankful for the distraction. By that time, it was finally my turn to check out at the register I was at, so then all of a sudden, she's not busy, and checks out another person who came to her register.

I really wanted to tell her ignorant ass off, but I had my 11 year old daughter with me, so I kept my cool, but that left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Just a few weeks ago, a Black woman who's been a manager at this particular Walmart for years, was fired because some employees claimed she was racist; well, they need to send Shirley packing as well, because she didn't even try to hide her ignorance or her prejudiced and biased attitude. I was so mad, I was shaking, and I did look at her name badge, intending to call management, but I know that complaining to the managers, is like talking to the air; because I've worked at this particular Walmart for about two years, and it's not just Shirley at the service desk who acts this way towards their non-white employees, which is part of the reason why I quit years ago. 

F.Y.I. racist bigots- if you obviously don't like people of color, you need to find another JOB. I posted this on my Facebook page, and was going to just let it go, but several people told me that I needed to get the word out there, even if it meant calling corporate, because what she did was ignorant and racist. So again, this was Walmart in Nashville, Arkansas...and they have employees like Shirley who decides who she will or won't wait on. I guess my skin was the wrong color for her to decide to help a paying customer. I, like many people, have a couple of reasons why I HATE shopping at Walmart...and ignorant heifers like her at at the top of the list. Funny thing is, I am also a cashier at a different business, and any little thing that I do or don't do, some folks can't wait to go to management to complain, and I'm promptly reprimanded...but I know this won't be the case here. Nothing will happen to Shirley, even is I do go higher up and notify corporate, but I wanted to put her and her horrible customer service on blast anyway. 

**Update: I called and talked to management and was told the cashiers name is Sherry, not Shirley. Anyway, she just said the issue would be addressed...but somehow, I doubt it will.**

#Walmart #Employees #BadCustomerService 

No comments:

Post a Comment