Monday, October 13, 2014

Nostalgia....




Back in the days when I was young I'm not a kid anymore
But some days I sit and wish I was a kid again
Back in the days when I was young I'm not a kid anymore
But some days I sit and wish I was a kid again
Back in the days...

I know I'm the not the only one who remembers this song, or who feels this way.
I regret ever saying (or even thinking),  "I can't wait until I'm grown!" when I was a teenager.

It seems like yesterday when I would sit outside on the front porch, thinking how much better my life would be once I got my own place and got out of my strict mama's house. Now, as a mother of two (a 15 yr. old son who turns 16 next month and a 10-going-on-30 yr. old daughter), and a husband-who acts like one of my kid's sometimes- I would give anything to go back to those days where my only concern or responsibility was to do the dishes when it was my turn, clean up my room, and do my homework. After those things were done, I had nothing else to do other than walk back and forth to the corner store for Icee's and chips and lie across my bed reading Sweet Valley Twin's books. I did get a  job when I turned 16, but I worked by choice, not because I had to.

Fast forward 20 yrs. and now if I look like I'm relaxing for even a minute, my kid's always seem to find a way to make me have to get up off the couch and tend to them. It's true- a woman's/mother's work in NEVER complete. My daughter thinks she should be able to do any & everything her big brother does and when I tell her she can't, the first thing she says is, "I can't wait until I'm older!"
If she knew like I do, she wouldn't be in any hurry to grow up...



No comments:

Post a Comment