Saturday, April 4, 2015

Are some Authors really paying for reviews?


I am a self-published author, as of May 2014. I have always wanted to be a writer. Reading and writing has always been my passion, but prior to last year, I had no idea that aspiring authors could self-publish their own books. I Googled as much information as I could on the subject, wrote my book, then began the process of getting it published as an e-book on Amazon. Then, I waited.I knew that no one had ever heard of J.L. Sapphire (because she didn't exist prior to last year) I always knew that I'd use a pen name, and after several hours of playing around with names, I finally came up with this one- which is my first and middle initial, and Sapphire is my birthstone. But, as a brand spanking new writer (I sill didn't consider myself an author) I began to worry that my little novella would go completely unnoticed on Amazon, who has millions of books published through their Kindle Direct Program.Yeah, I had the support of family and friends, but in my mind after they read and reviewed the book- which they surprisingly loved- I wondered if they'd really liked it, or if they just didn't have the heart to tell me not to quit my day job any time soon. I knew the true test would come when and if I ever got reviews from a stranger- someone who didn't know me from Eve, and who wouldn't care about hurting my feelings. 

Now, I appreciate those 5 star reviews I get, no matter who they come from. But when it's from someone I've never met, it makes me feel like I've really done my job. And even though they are few and far between, it still makes me feel good when a reader says they enjoyed my book. But here lately, it's been like pulling teeth trying to get readers to leave reviews- positive or negative. I don't know why it's so hard to jot down a sentence or two after you're done, but people simply don't do it, which irks any writer, because feedback is what helps us- not only in terms of letting us know if we're good or not, but also in terms of sales

So back to the reason for this blogpost. A topic has been brought to my attention lately, and it really got me to wondering how some authors get hundreds of reviews, mere hours after the release of their book, while other authors barely have a couple of reviews on books that have been out for months, sometimes years. Yes, I know if you're a successful traditional publisher and have a big fan following, that's pretty easy to accomplish; but it was brought to my attention that some authors are paying their readers to leave them 5 star reviews. Surely not, that would be dishonest. But, it happens; and it happens a lot. I decided to do a little snooping, so I went to Amazon and looked up this certain Indie author/publisher. She had a book that was released just last week, yet there are already 200+ reviews, all 4 and 5 stars. Yes, I'll admit it looks good (kind of like some men look good on paper) and to a potential reader, it prompts them to want to 1- click that book. The problem with that is, not only is it extremely dishonest, I downloaded the free sample to my Kindle and the content of the book is not all it's made out to be.

Because I'm an indie author myself and I know traditional publishers love to look down their noses at us, I try my best to support other indie authors. Since I began my writing journey, I've come to know many more indie authors through social media, mainly on Facebook, and while I can't buy each and every book I come across, I certainly try to give an indie authors a shot, because I know it's hard to develop a following when you're just starting out. Indie authors have about as much luck as those guys who stand outside the stores in the hood, trying to push their cd's on you. I feel bad now, because I'm that chick that usually keeps right on walking, without giving them a second glance- if it ain't Tupac or maybe 50 Cent, I'll pass. That's how Indie authors are viewed. Until we get on the level of Zane or Ashley & JaQuavis, for instance, most people aren't trying to be bothered with us. 

Scrolling down my Facebook timeline on a daily basis looking at all the beautifully designed book covers from indie authors is like a country girl (like myself) who goes to a big city for the first time; like a kid in a candy store- I just don't know which one to read first. So, I'll play eeny meeny miny moe, until I decide on which book to get. There are so many 'publishers' on Facebook these days, all boasting that they're the BEST in whatever genre they specialize in, it's hard to choose. So, I'll click the purchase link, go to Amazon, read the description, and then glance at the reviews- the same as I always do when I'm thinking of buying a book. So far, it sounds interesting, not to mention the cover has definitely caught my attention. So, I 1-click it, and grab my blanket and a glass of wine while it's being delivered to my Kindle, and prepare to be entertained. Only, I can't get past the first page. Not only have I already counted 5 errors (I don't read with the intention of intentionally looking for errors, but because I'm an author too, it's easy to see them) but the storyline is the same storyline of a book from another Facebook famous publisher, who's book I read last week, which ironically had a similar cover, now that I think of it. I keep reading anyway; I've told myself I'm going to do better with supporting my people, and maybe it'll get better later. But, by 5%, I just can't take it anymore. Didn't 90% of the 5 star reviews I read before I bought it, say this was the best thing since sliced bread? I go back to the Amazon page, just to make sure I read them right. Yep, all but two of the reviews say this book absolutely gave them their life. Yeah okay. I must have missed something, because I didn't get that from what I read. Now, I feel like I've been hoodwinked, bamboozled. I'm not going to be like some readers, and ask for a refund because I know, all too well, how that makes an author feel. Instead, I simply remove the book from my device and look for something else, telling myself  that certain 'publisher' won't catch me slipping again and get anymore of my hard-earned coins.

The problem with authors/publishers paying for those 5 star reviews is, it's cheating 'real' potential readers, tricking them into buying your work, which isn't fair in the least. Just as people eat with their eyes first, people do judge books by the covers and reviews, both positive and negative. Now, I read the reviews, but just as I don't judge a person based on someone else's opinion of them, the same applies to the books. I don't let one readers comment persuade me, but I do like to see what other readers have to say. And I know that all writers have a bad day from time to time, and every book is not going to be a banger, but if every book that's released under your 'publishing company' gives me the same disappointing feeling, I'm going to come to the conclusion that you're a fraud. Sure, all the 5-star ratings and readers fawning over you and your books might garner you admiration from other authors who are trying to accomplish the same thing, but you aren't respected as a true talented writer. But hell, if you're willing to pay me a few bucks to jot down a few words on Amazon each and every time you release a new book, who wouldn't take it? That's gas money, or lunch the next day at work. But, if after all the hard work and long hours it took to write the book, then the cost of getting a cover designed, paying an editor, and all the other costs it takes to publish a book, I then have to turn around and pay you to read and review it, what exactly am I gaining? 

Yes, I so desperately would love to be on a legitimate best-sellers list one day, but I'm not going to pay my way to the top, or deceive people who have supported me by honestly reading and reviewing my books as I try to make it there. Everybody wants to be successful, but you can't reach a true level of success by wrapping mediocre work (writing) in a pretty package (book covers) and expecting to get by. Like mama used to say, "You can fool some people, sometimes; but you can't fool everybody all the time," or something like that. Y'all know what I'm saying. These social media publishers are getting by on paying their friends and family for reviews, recruiting other aspiring writers to join their team of 'successful' writers, and bragging about how much money their team/books bring in, but anybody with the gift of gab can make a person believe what the're trying to sell them. And most of the time what they're selling, is complete garbage.

I've published a few books now, and while I get occasional reviews here and there, I'm still struggling to make it to the top, as I expect to. I'm still relatively new to all of this. But I want to get there, honestly. After I'd published my second book, I had a certain successful Facebook publisher email me one day and say that she'd come across my work and thought I'd be perfect to join her team.I checked out her books/reviews on Amazon and her website. She seemed to have made a nice name for herself, and although she has a high level of social media success and most people would have jumped at the chance to publish books under her label, I've never been a follower. My gut instinct told me to graciously decline, which I did. I've put in too much time and spent too many late nights, trying to put myself and my work out there, to give all of my creative and financial control to someone else, who's really doing the same exact thing I'm doing, she's just been at it a little longer. 

I feel that one day, I'll get where I want to be. While I'm waiting though, I want to be worried that people won't like my books; be a little disappointed when I don't get as many reviews as some other authors who write in my same genre get, and be even more hurt when I get the occasional negative review. I want to stay up late into the midnight hour, writing and re-writing my books, exploring different angles and genres, rather than write what's expected of me, like some authors, who are simply writing the same books, over and over- only under different 'publishers' and with a different cover. And if I get only one positive review, then I feel like I've done my job. When my time comes, I want to be able to look back at my struggle and know that I've earned it, not paid for it. Because quite frankly, all the reviews in the world can't compete with 'real talent.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment