Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The #ImNoAngel Campaign by Lane Bryant...it's about time!


Yesterday, I was absentmindedly scrolling through my newsfeed on Facebook, and I saw several celebs, including Amber Riley, Fantasia, and Mary Mary, endorsing Lane Bryant's #ImNoAngel Campaign.

Yes, this is obviously taking a shot at Victoria's Secret 'Angels' and all I wondered was...what took so long? As a fellow full-figured gal, I can't tell you how many times I've gone into Vicky's Secrets, hoping to find something to both make me feel sexy, and entice my hubby...only to find that the cute little panties and bras they sell in there, are obviously NOT meant for a gal like me- one with size DDD breasts and panties larger than a size 10.

I'm so glad someone over at Lane Bryant heard the silent cry of plus-sized women around the world and created this campaign. I was so happy as I scrolled and saw the models in the ad, and the many female celebrities who were happy to be a part of this.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater and I can always give any woman (no matter what size she is) her props if she deserves them, but I'm sooooo tired of watching the Victoria's Secret Angels fashion show every year and seeing those size two models strutting their stuff down the runway. They're so skinty (in my Mr. Brown voice) they look like they're going to topple over from the weight of those wings. But while the lingerie and wings are beautiful, I'm always thinking, "When is a real woman going to walk out?" And by real woman, I mean a realistic looking woman, one with a few stretch marks, or a little cellulite, or who doesn't have wash-board abs. Because realistically, women don't have the perfect bodies they advertise.



Per Lane Bryant spokeswoman: "The women who wear Cacique know that sexy comes in many shapes and sizes. They’re no angels—and they own it. Join the women who are redefining sexy by posting your personal statement of confidence using the hashtag #ImNoAngel". Young girls watch those fashion shows and sexy commercials, aspiring to be like those angels, going to extreme lengths such as dieting at age 9, or more serious things, such as anorexia- all in the name of having a perfect body; because the worlds tells us women that in order to succeed and be considered beautiful, we must be a perfect size. Lane Bryant's campaign will hopefully make girls who are bigger, realize she's just as beautiful. See the ad campaign below.


I don't know if we'll see any plus size-models walking down the runway at Victoria's Secret fashion show any time soon, but Lane Bryant is making it loud and clear, in a bold statement to Victoria's Secret with this campaign. 

Again, this isn't to say that I hate Victoria's Secret or slim women; but ALL women need to know we are beautiful, and that no where in the book does it say that sexy is only one size. And a campaign like this seems to be long overdue, as the hashtag has taken off on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Sorry Vicky's Secret Angels, Lane Bryant has officially broken the internet. 







No comments:

Post a Comment